As an Investment Analyst at Techstars, you are responsible for sourcing, recruiting and helping to accelerate the growth of the 25 companies we back per year. You bring to our team an understanding of the venture capital landscape and the ability to assess companies through analyzing each company based on team, product, market and traction. You are well versed in writing deal memos for venture investments, and prior roles or internships at a VC firm is preferred. You will be working in a high outward facing environment interacting with founders in both the Techstars NYC (Winter Class) and Techstars Sports Accelerator programs (Indianapolis), Techstars alumni and mentors. You will be responsible for sourcing and hiring a support staff of interns and/or associates who will report to you and assist your efforts. This role will report to the Director of Platform.
- Identify, source, and screen 500+ startups/year
- Host office hours and conduct 10+ zooms/calls per week with CEOs of potential startups across our 2 accelerators
- Maintain detailed and accurate notes on startups following email and call exchanges with CEOs
- Manage the logistics of the application process for companies at top of funnel
- Liaise with fund managers, angel investors, Techstars alumni and mentors to develop deal flow
- Monitor market trends and investment portfolios, stay up to date on developments in the industries in which we actively invest
- Analyze previous investment decisions and generate key takeaways
- Actively recruit and meet companies through various channels including online research, networking events and referrals from our network
- Build relationships with universities and college, pre-accelerator programs and early stage funds as source for recruiting
- Attend relevant conferences to represent our accelerators and develop deal flow
- Compile data/reports and make informed recommendations on new investment opportunities and funds that could enhance diversity of portfolio
- While in program (6mo/year), work with our portfolio CEOs to develop their pitch decks, financial models, and projections
- Work with our Community Manager to implement network events/workshops to support current portfolio and alumni founders fundraising efforts, both during program and outside of program
- Make email introductions for our portfolio CEOs to relevant investors, when appropriate
- Network and introduce new funds and angel investors for inclusion in our Demo Days invites and investor relationship management efforts
- Assist with preparation and execution of our two annual Demo Days; we are a small team and its all hands on deck to put on great events!
- 2-4 years of experience working in early stage companies, at an early stage fund or other roles that demonstrate experience in above responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience working well in a team structure, whether through professional roles or other experience (ie sports teams, miliary, etc)
- A genuine passion for technology and startups, an entrepreneurial mindset and a desire to learn (passion for sports is a plus!)
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- Comfortable working in ambiguity but with high expectations
- Strong emotional intelligence, experience with recruiting, vetting or advising entrepreneurs is a plus
- MBA and/or Masters of Finance valued but not required
- Thorough understanding and passion for financial analysis and investment strategy
- Ability to analyze investment memos, assess founding teams and understand various markets.
- Experience reviewing decks, working with Excel or Google sheets and command of english language (bonus points for additional language comprehension)
- You are available to travel (1-2 months expected in Indy during our summer accelerator)
- Systems thinker with an eye for things that do not scale and the capability to design new processes and systems for implementation across programs
- Salary range: $75,000-$90,000 + annual bonus
- Strong benefits including health, dental, 401k, 401k match, unlimited vaca policy
- Perks: $500/year educational stipend and $500/year wellness stipend, Apple Laptop, swag, etc.
- Annual team retreats with executive coach for personal and team development
- Based in New York City but hybrid in-office vs remote structure (in office for 5-6 months/year across NYC and Indy offices, fully remote 6-7 months/year).
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $29B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.