As an Investment Associate, you are joining a Techstars team responsible for sourcing, recruiting and helping to accelerate the growth of companies in which we invest. You bring into the program an understanding of early stage investing, community and network. You are constantly meeting with entrepreneurs and educating yourself on emerging trends and technologies in the venture capital industry. You are intimately involved in the sourcing and screening of both founders and companies in our pipeline. You will be both internally focused working in support of founders in-program and externally focused on behalf of our founders to the broader community of alumni and mentors. You will provide oversight of the Techstars application process and the management of the program. You’ll maintain strong bonds with the startups you bring into the program, acting as a resource and looking out for relevant opportunities to support their success.
- Source and evaluate potential investments related to the market or specific sector thru financial due diligence, market research and competitive analysis; Research and identify trends for companies and financing, and analyze product and competitive dynamics to help create a strong pipeline of startups
- Actively recruit and meet companies through various channels such as online research, networking events and referrals from our network
- Manage pipeline of deal flow to successfully structure and close investments
- Contribute to investment memos and specific company diligence for the class selection process
- Partner with portfolio companies to support their business growth, adding value through your experience, advice and talent network
- Manage financial analysis and valuation and structure alternatives for decision purposes
- Work towards becoming a thought leader in your space, from writing white papers and op-ed’s to speaking at conferences
- Extend the Techstars network at industry events/conferences and relevant entrepreneurial communities
- Develop network events/programs to support founders and alumni both during program and outside of program
- Provide leadership in specific content areas for your program
- Report to the Director of Platforms
- 4+ years of experience working in early stage companies or other roles that demonstrate experience in above responsibilities
- Familiarity with the construct within an Investment Memo and research required to build
- An investment track record that demonstrates the ability to source, transact and grow early stage businesses
- An entrepreneurial attitude, a demonstrated curiosity, a willingness to pitch in every aspect of the business and grow with Techstars as it grows
- An ethos of hard work and initiative in previous endeavors
- You have demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects on time and in parallel
- Strong emotional intelligence, experience with recruiting, vetting or advising entrepreneurs is a plus
- A genuine passion for technology and startups, an entrepreneurial mindset and a desire to learn
- Comfortable working in ambiguity but with high expectations
- You are available to travel
- Systems thinker with an eye for things that do not scale and the capability to design new processes and systems for implementation across programs
- Expertise with google sheets and other tools utilized by our founders
- MBA preferred, but not required
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $29B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.